A SIM is the small microchip which contains information such as your settings and personal data, including contacts and photos etc. Without a SIM card, your handset is an empty shell waiting to be activated. A SIM effectively powers your handset.
Most mobile phone contracts include both a handset and a SIM, which covers your connectivity, calls, texts and mobile data. However, it is possible to separate the SIM and the handset and go for either a handset deal or SIM-free deal (which are effectively the same thing) or buy the handset up front and outright.
What is a Phone Pre-pay?
A Phone Pre-pay is locked with specific network (SIM CARD included) and you need to topup your plan, you only pay upfront cost for the handset and there is no monthly contract.
What are the benefits of buying a SIM-free phone?
Buying a SIM-free phone is overall much cheaper than the other, often costly, mobile contract options. Plus, you'll have more flexibility with your phone plan, as generally your phone won't be locked to a specific network e.g. . This means you're free to shop around different networks to buy a SIM, and you can change your SIM more often. (It is, however, important you check the small print of your handset and check it isn't dependent on a specific SIM card.)
A SIM-free handset means you're going to need a SIM to go with it.
Can SIM free phones be used on any network?
Not necessarily; don't assume that all SIM-free handsets can be used on any network - like an unlocked phone. Some SIM-free handsets will be tied to a specific network e.g , and it's important to check this information. Generally, you should be free to buy a SIM-free handset from any network such as Virgin, O2, and Vodafone, but this is not a given. Don't forget to read the small print when you buy a handset.
Unlocked SIM-free phones?
An unlocked phone can be used on any network. Whether you opt for a SIM-only contract deal, a Pay-as-you-go SIM or a 30-day SIM contract, you're free to mix and match your handset with any network provider. An Apple device, for example, will lock to the first SIM provider inserted. So always check the small print for exceptions like this.
A contract upgrade is the term used when you keep your mobile number and stay with your existing network.
Why are the deals so cheap? at MangoPhones.co.uk
If you’ve always purchased your phone contracts direct from a network like Tesco Mobile, Vodafone, O2 and etc. then these prices may seem surprisingly low!
We have all deals offered directly by the networks and retailers in our database, we only show you the best UK prices for each monthly plan.
The retailers work for smaller profit margins than the networks, they buy the phones in bulk quantity and most of them online this means cheaper deals for our customers.
Can I keep my mobile number?
Yes, it's easy to keep your number. Once you've decided on your new mobile contract, you'll need to ask your existing network for a PAC code (Porting Authorisation Code). It's usually three letters and six numbers long and won't cost you a thing. You now have 30 days to pass this code to your new network supplier, who will then port the number from your old SIM to your new SIM, which means you can keep using your existing mobile number.
No upfront cost deals?
Many plans require you pay an upfront handset cost when you first take out the contract. If you'd rather not pay this initial fee, you will end up paying a slightly higher monthly cost as the handset cost is spread over the length of the contract.
Compare contract deals across different network providers?
- The only network to offer you true unlimited mobile data in the UK, with a huge range of deals and plans to choose from.
- plans which include subscriptions to Now TV, Spotify, or Sky Sports Mobile; and you can upgrade your phone up to 60 days before the end of your contract.
- Priority gets you to the front of the queue for concert tickets; and cheap roaming add-ons are available for when you're abroad.
- Offers the fastest and widest 4G coverage in the UK, and lots of extras, like BT Sport and Apple Music.
- Provides unlimited access to BT's 5 million public Wi-Fi hotspots, the BT Sport app, and monthly spending caps to ensure bills don't spiral out of control.
- Offers affordable and varied plans, with the chance to earn Clubcard points, and excellent customer service.
- WhatsApp and Messenger usage doesn't come out of your allowance and one-month data rollover lets you use your unused data the next month.
- Get extra discounts and goodies if you're a Sky TV customer; and roll used data over to the next month and keep it for up to three years.
The majority of retailers offer next working day delivery with a cut off at 6pm, although some go right through until 8pm.
You can find your exact delivery date when you place your order and in a confirmation email from the retailer shortly afterwards.
If you change your mind and wish to return your phone, you can inform the retailer within 14 calendar days.
Most popular phones
Compare smartphone deals at MangoPhones.co.uk and save yourself money on your next phone.